Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 1-Orphanage


Sibling group

Waiting on us to arrive..



Sleeping quarter for young girls


Showing off pretty nails





All these faces are waiting for a Mama and Papa















Orphan Summer Camp















Hello! Its been a long day, so this post may not make a whole lot of sense. We are exhausted... both physically and mentally. I also have uploaded these pictures to a smaller size..you can double click on them to see them bigger...with that said...I will tell you about our day.

We had a great night's rest. Thank you for your prayers. Believe it or not....we are sleeping 8 hours each night. For those of you that have traveled over seas....you know how awesome this is! We got up early and had prayer time before we left. We were anxious to get to the orphanage. We drove out of the city...to a very remote camp site where the children stay during the summer. Here...they just sort of sit outside all day with not much to do and "wander". They were very happy to see us. We gave them some toys that we had picked up at the Dollar Tree...and you would have thought it was Christmas. They were going crazy for the simplest things. We played badminton...frisbee....sidewalk chalk....and painted the girls fingernails (which was a hit!) We also gave them the beaded bracelets and shared Christ with these precious children. They read the Gospel in their own language and even asked questions. We were able to leave the cards with them to read again and again. Many of the children asked for the cards to keep in their rooms. We stayed with the children all day... Its late now (almost 11:00pm) and we need to rest. Our day begins early tomorrow.

I don't think I can really share my heart at this moment anyway. I feel like anything I say will not convey what my heart feels. I need some time to let my experiences settle in me. God is working in our hearts and we want more than anything for you all to be here with us. We want you to taste God's love in this way. We want our passion to be your passion.

So, instead of more words, I will leave you with pictures ( if they download...we have horrible internet)

We love you all and appreciate each and every comment that you have left here. Somehow, when you are thousands of miles away from home, a comment on a blog makes you feel like you are at home! We feel loved and prayed for!

We will post again tomorrow.

Aimee and Jami

15 comments:

  1. {{HUGS}} I am so proud of you guys! It looks like you are having fun- and the smiles on the children's faces are priceless. I am praying hard for you- and am trying to spread the word or your blog.
    Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...what beautiful faces.

    So can you list ages of children, etc. on this blog? Or does it have to be more private?

    I wish I was there with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures make me wish I was there with you!
    I'm looking forward to reading about your trip ~ you are both doing amazing work...His work. God bless you!!
    Nancy H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful faces. I am praying that someone recognizes their son or daughter on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What wonderful pictures!! The children are beautiful. I wish that we could be there with you and take every single one of them home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! What BEAUTIFUL children you are able to play with and share Christ with! It makes me so wish I could be there with you.
    I am continuing to pray for you girls, your families, and the orphans. Thank you for giving of your time to share with these orphans!
    Love you both and I am sending you my hugs!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is a quote from Lilias Trotter who was a missionary to Algeria that has meant a lot to me:
    "...let us take care not to make a misery of anything that "anywhere" brings us. To us in Algeria it must mean sometime or other, Arab food. Do we object to it? And mice, do we mind them? And mosquitos, do we think them dreadful? In some parts it means close contact with dirt and repulsive disease. Yet, if Jesus is there, what have we possibly to complain of? It means living among a stiff necked and untrue people and struggling with a strange and difficult language. And yet let us evermore write over all our miseries...'With Jesus'. And then the very breath of Heaven will breathe upon our whole being and we shall be glad."
    Aren't you glad that you are sharing this wonderful, heartbreaking, difficult, exciting week WITH JESUS. He is with you guys! Love, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say (sing) is "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world...." Those faces are beautiful. They are HIS! How wonderful are your works, Oh Lord.
    Aimee I can't wait until you can give us more details. I know each child has a story. More than that, each child has a PURPOSE!!!!!! Thank you for obeying the call of God on your life. I know He is richly blessing you, using you, refining you...you are an inspiration to me! (Okay, now I'm singing "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago. I need to go to bed myself! ;)
    Lots of love and prayers for you all and those sweet sweet kiddos...
    Laine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am at a loss for words; my heart aches to look at the pictures...the word HOPE has lingered with me all day for those babies....they must have HOPE....thank God for HOPE. Hugs to you, nana j

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tears keep flowing as I so wish each and every child would have a mama or papa! Blessing to you and all you touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. janetbwhite (above) could have written my thoughts. I am just so at a loss for words... You mentioned how the kids are just wondering around with nothing to really do. That picture is haunting and reminds me that all of us are in that same situation without Christ. I will pray for lasting remembrance from your words of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you, Jami and those precious children.
    Sherri Fields

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart is stirring. Praying for you! I can't find the words to speak right now,but can say thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girls, thank you so much for sharing. Praying for you and all the precious kids. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amiee and Jami,
    So glad things are going so well. Please let me know if you need anything. I know you are having a great time! Take care of each other.
    Jana Lombardo

    ReplyDelete