Monday, August 31, 2009

Last Day in Ukraine

On Friday, we got up early and headed down to the local market. We had extra money and we wanted to spend it!! One thing that we had noticed that the children really needed was undergarments. So...along with our translator...we went and bought many, many items for both girls and boys. We also wanted to buy shoes for the children. They are in desperate need of shoes. Many of the shoes they wore are broken, and I honestly do not know how they keep them on their little feet. We purchased around 40-45 pair of shoes. I was a little disappointed because things were not as cheap as China! I was hoping for a market where I could barter a little...but...nope. They were firm on prices! But, we left that market with bags galore!

We drove to the orphanage and delivered the gifts to the director. She was very grateful. The children were busy with chores and such, so we did not see them again. I think it was best. The night was so very hard to leave them. I just couldn't do good-byes again.

We headed out on our way on a mission to see a special needs orphanage. We drove about 2 hours south...and finally located the place. Jami and I sat in the car while our facilitator went in to ask permission for us to stomach was turning flips just thinking about whether they would say yes or no. I prayed that God would have His way...and if we were to visit...then so be it. If not, I knew that this was His plan.

Well, we were told no. I was devastated. My heart just sunk. I wanted so badly to go inside and scoop those babies up and hold those precious children. But, this wasn't the place or the time. We had to trust that God had a bigger plan.

Our drive that day back to Kiev took 14 hours. Yes. That wasn't a typo. We drove all night on bumpy Ukraine roads and even our driver got nauseous. He took us straight to the airport and we just stayed there (for 4 hours) until our flight departed. Jami and I both passed out and slept the whole way home to Atlanta.

We were greeted by our sweet husbands and children at the airport. My granny was also there. It was a sweet time. I didn't remember my children smelling so delicious. I just wanted to eat them up.


We have had so much interest in this blog. Please, if you have any questions about any of these need to contact one of us. I am going to continue to post pictures for the next week or so. All of these children are waiting. They are waiting for one of you to come and rescue them.

In Christ,
Aimee and Jami


  1. This was a beautiful post. I am so sad that you werent able to get inside the special needs orphanage. Our hearts are pulled in the SN direction and I was really hoping you were going to say that you were able to go there.

    God's blessings on you for doing this. It is a wonderful service to His people.

  2. Wow Aimee, what a trip home. 14 hours and then a plane ride home on top of that. Whew.
    I know you were very disappointed not to get to go into the SN orphanage...sometimes we just have to close our eyes, take a deep breath, and trust.
    I know you are enjoying your hubby and kiddos immensely!

  3. What a wonderful gift that you girls were able to buy the children shoes and undergarments!!! What a blessing!

    So sorry that you were not able to visit the special needs orphanage. You are right though to just trust in God that this was not the right time for it.

    Thank you for sharing your time with us!

    love to you both!